Fun with Funtreks!

Doing something interesting with your Insane Audio head unit? This is the place to share!
InsaneAudioSupport

Fun with Funtreks!

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Insane Audio and Funtreks

If you’re reading this post, then you probably already know about Insane Audio and all the awesomeness that comes with our products and you most likely already use Insane NavEngine for navigation both on and offroad. That being said, however, we have recently been working with our friends over at Funtreks and wanted to share a little more about their products and how to get their new data cards to work with Insane Audio’s JK1001 or FJ1001.

What the heck is Funtreks?

Funtreks is a company that essentially makes offroad guidebooks. That’s a little bit of an understatement, however, because they are pretty well known in the offroad community for making really, really good guidebooks with detailed trail information for places like Colorado, Arizona, California and Moab, UT. They’ve recently started selling GPS data cards as well that provide trailheads, waypoints and tracks that correspond to their books. So, you can basically go to a point of interest then pull out your handy Funtreks book and it’ll tell you all about where you are and what you need to know about the trail ahead. You can find out more about Funtreks at http://www.funtreks.com

OK. So how does this work with my Insane Audio unit?

There are two ways to use Funtreks data cards with your Insane Audio head unit. If you’ve got a TJ1001, JK1001 or FJ1001 then you can import trailheads as well as waypoints directly into Insane NavEngine. If you’ve got a JK1001 or FJ1001 then you can also use the Backcountry Navigator app to import routes. This guide will cover both options in detail so you can choose whichever works best for you.

Funtreks with Insane NavEngine

Once you have the Funtreks MicroSD card of your choice, the first thing you are going to want to do is copy the data over to your PC. Place the card in your computer, and locate the files you want to load in to your unit. For this demonstration, we will be using the Crystal Geyser TRACK set, from the Moab, UT trail pack. The folders are clearly labeled TRACKS, TRAILHEADS, and WAYPOINTS. Create a New Folder on your PC and copy the files over. For our example, we also edited the names of the files so they are labeled either a track, trailhead or waypoint.

We then need to convert the Funtreks .gpx files to .kml format. There are plenty of utilities that do this, but perhaps the easiest way to do this is to just visit http://www.gpx2kml.com. When you go the website, you will see an area to load a file in to. Click the “Choose File” button to open the File Explorer.

In this example, we chose to convert the “Crystal Geyser” TRACK file from the Funtreks Moab, UT Data Card. Once you select the file you wish to use, click the “Convert” button on the website. After the conversion is complete, you will be directed to another webpage. On this page, you will have the option to download the new format of your files. Click on the option to download.

After you download the file, make sure to make a note of where it is on your computer. You will need it in a moment. Next, you will need to extract the GPS Micro SD card from your Insane Audio headunit. Whether you’ve got a JK1001, TJ1001 or FJ1001 you should first exit Insane NavEngine gracefully (i.e. exit the app itself) then power off your unit. You then want to remove the GPS card from your headunit and insert into a PC.

It’s worth noting that you can use the NaviExtras Toolbox to import .kml waypoints, but it’s a little quicker to just copy the files over manually. To do that, go to your GPS card and look for the Insane_NavEngine folder.

Once you have opened that folder, locate the “content” folder. Open it.

Within the “content” folder, locate the folder “userdata.” Open that folder.

Upon opening the “userdata” folder, the only folder option is “poi.” Open that folder.

After opening, the “poi” folder, copy the Funtreks file you want to load and place it in the “poi” location. Again, for this demonstration, we are using the Crystal Geyser TRACK, from the Moab, UT Data Card.

After you copy the files you want, safely remove the GPS MicroSD card from your computer and place it back in to your headunit. Power your vehicle on and fire up Insane NavEngine. When Insane NavEngine loads, tap on the “Destination” option.

Once the “Destination” menu loads, you will want to tap on the “Find Places” category.

Once you are in the “Find Places” option, you will want to open the “Custom Search” menu.

When you open the “Custom Search,” you will want to tap the “Around Here” option.

Tapping on “Around Here” will open a folder list. One of the folder will be labeled as the file you loaded on the GPS Card earlier. In our example, we can see “03 Crystal Geyser Track.” Open that Folder.

Once you open your Map File folder, select the type of files you want to access. The TRACK files from Funtreks provide all of the waypoints for a particular route, in order. So, we then need to open the “Waypoints” folder.

When you open your File Type, all of the points will be present in this list. Select the point you wish to navigate to. (I used the G0301 waypoint in the Crystal Geyser trail to start with.)

After you select your desired destination, Insane NavEngine will load the point on the screen for you to review. Once you are ready to start your trail riding, tap the “Go” button.

Once you click “Go,” Insane NavEngine may advise you that part of your trail is unpaved. Click “Ok,” and your route will be displayed. Click “Go,” once again, and the Navigation will start!

Now, you just need to go out and enjoy it! Once you get to your waypoint, simply load up another one, and keep wheelin’!

Once you’ve got your Funtreks data loaded into Insane NavEngine there are plenty of other ways to use this data such as displaying Funtreks POI data on the map screen as you are driving offroad or even using the trailhead data as a way to navigate from your house to the start of your next big offroad adventure.

Keep in mind that while most trails probably already exist inside Insane NavEngine, the points of interest (POIs) from Funtreks are specific to their guidebooks and the intent is to use the book to reference additional information about the trail.

Funtreks with Backcountry Navigator

If you’ve got any of Insane Audio’s android powered headunits (like Insane Audio’s JK1001 or FJ1001) then you can also access Funtreks data through the Backcountry Navigator app.

If you aren’t already familiar with it, Backcountry Navigator is a pretty cool android app that is a nice supplement to Insane NavEngine. Sure, Insane NavEngine has offroad trails and 3D topography but Backcountry Navigator also has some cool features too such as the ability to download satellite imagery ahead of time and use it offline when you are on the trail. Backcountry Navigator is not affiliated with Insane Audio, but they’re just another example of a cool app that works great with our products.

While you can insert the Funtreks data card directly into your JK1001 or FJ1001’s microSD card slot, we recommend copying that data over to a PC first as a backup then perhaps placing it in a folder on a larger capacity microSD card so you can also have plenty of space for movies or music. Either way, you’ll need to get that Funtreks data on a microSD card an inserted into your Insane Audio headunit.

You will then need to download Backcountry Navigator from the Google Play Store and install it on your Insane Audio headunit. There is a paid “pro” version of this app, as well as a free one. We recommend downloading the free version first to make sure you like it before purchasing the “pro” version. Once you have downloaded it, go ahead and open it up. When you open Backcountry Navigator (BCN) for the first time, it will prompt you to choose a map source. Tap the “OK” button, and it will take you to the Map Source list. Scroll down to “USA: Imagery.” Once that opens, select “USTopo Aerial Imagery.” Click OK to confirm.

The map with your current location will reload. Tap the “Trip Data” option in the upper right area of the screen.

Once the Trip Database screen opens, scroll down. You will see an option that reads, “Import Tracks or Waypoints,” tap it.

Once the Import screen opens, look at the location. It is probably defaulted to: /mnt/internal_sd/Download. Press the green “Up” button until the Location reads: “/mnt.” The very bottom line of the import screen actually scrolls. Scroll down until you see the option: “external_sd2.” Tap that option to access your microSD data card.

This will open the files on the MicroSD card you inserted in the unit. You will see the files that you loaded on to the card earlier. Open one of the files. We are using the TRACK file from Crystal Geyser for our example.

Once you select a file, the Import window will come up and ask you what database you want to save to. You can choose an existing one, or create a new one for this trip. Once you have selected a database, tap the “Start Import” button.

The import will happen as a background function. Once the import is complete, you will see a notification in the top bar of the screen. Pull the menu down, and select the file that has completed importing. (It will say “Import Finished, click to see in Map View.”) The map will re-open, with your information predominantly displayed. In this example, the Funtreks TRACKS files provide waypoints and trail head as well as projected trajectory. This picture has the TRACK file for Crystal Geyser.

Once the files have loaded, you can navigate to the waypoints or trailheads like you would any other destination.

That concludes our writeup on Funtreks with your Insane Audio headunit. Thanks for reading and we’ll see ‘ya on the trail!

Casper711

Re: Fun with Funtreks!

Post by Casper711 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Awesome writeup. Very interesting.

Casper711

Post by Casper711 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:53 am

Could y'all tell me of Open GPS Tracker would be something that would work with NAVI? I know with Open GPS it tracks and marks way points then can be open in Google Maps to see where you have been and stuff. Would it be possible to record data then open in NAVI to see where you have been?

InsaneAudioSupport3

Post by InsaneAudioSupport3 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:26 pm

I actually have not tried OpenGPS yet! I will look in to it in the next weeks, and let you know what I find!

FJKevin

Post by FJKevin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:50 pm

I would like to add that I had to perform 2 minor extra steps with the Funtreks SD card. (in case anyone else comes across this)

When I went into the IA Nav SD Card and made it to the "content" folder, I found that I did not have a "userdata" folder. After playing with a few things, I decided to create a "userdata" folder, opened it and created a "poi" folder inside it, as the instructions mention. I then copied my .kml files over and voila, it worked. I can't wait to get out on the trail and play with this. Maybe this weekend :D

Thanks for developing this.

K

InsaneAudioSupport3

Post by InsaneAudioSupport3 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 am

FJKevin wrote:I would like to add that I had to perform 2 minor extra steps with the Funtreks SD card. (in case anyone else comes across this)

When I went into the IA Nav SD Card and made it to the "content" folder, I found that I did not have a "userdata" folder. After playing with a few things, I decided to create a "userdata" folder, opened it and created a "poi" folder inside it, as the instructions mention. I then copied my .kml files over and voila, it worked. I can't wait to get out on the trail and play with this. Maybe this weekend :D

Thanks for developing this.

K
Hey there! I was actually able to recreate this issue. And I have the answer!

When I was doing the initial testing and guide, I had loaded a track on to my GPS Card via NaviExtras Toolbox on my PC. I then restored my GPS card, via NaviExtras Toolbox to a backup that I had before I put the Track info If you load your first track/Trailhead/Waypoint via the NaviExtras Toolbox, it creates those folders for you. But it is awesome to know that you can just create the folder, and it recognizes it!

If you get some good pictures this weekend, feel free to share them! We love seeing our stuff in action! :)

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Hello everyone,

The file path has changed after some recent updates to the NavEngine app. So, once you insert the GPS card into your PC, instead of the "Insane_NavEngine" folder and then the other folders shown above, please go to: Android > data > com.navngo.igo.javaclient > content > userdata >poi and then copy your KML files there.

Hope this helps! :)