Bluetooth won't consistently connect to phone

General technical discussion topics for Insane Audio's TJ1001 or TJ1002
DOakland

Bluetooth won't consistently connect to phone

Post by DOakland » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:11 pm

I'm having a similar problem to the person who posted on the JK1001/JK2001 tech support forum regarding the bluetooth connection. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 that has no problem connecting with other bluetooth devices (speakers, rental car HU's, wireless earbuds, my old HU) quickly and consistently. However, 50-60% of the time I'll get a "couldn't connect" message regarding the TJ1002 bluetooth connection on my phone. I have checked to insure the WiFi and radio adapter are plugged in properly. Wifi on the HU is left on as is bluetooth. From my phone, I've tried every possible combination of leaving my mobile hotspot and bluetooth connection on/off and trying to force a manual connection through my phone. I've tried unpairing/pairing. There's no setting on my phone that gets the HU to consistently to connect to my phone. The only solution is to turn the key backwards to see if the HU will connect with my phone. If it won't connect, I'll put the key back in the off position to turn off the HU and then turn it backward to get the HU to come on again until it decides it wants to connect with my phone. Hitting the reset button on the HU with a paperclip also works but takes longer. This is a pretty big inconvenience considering there's products at 1/10th of the cost have no problem performing this very essential task for a HU. Has there been a software fix or something for this that I've missed? Any possible solution is appreciated.

It may be worth noting, the HU connects to my phone's Wifi hotspot quickly and consistently every singe time, no matter what. Which kind of adds to the confusion of why the bluetooth connection doesn't.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Re: Bluetooth won't consistently connect to phone

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello,

Thank you for posting on our forum, however, it's important to note that all Insane Audio customers get lifetime technical support and we stand behind everything we build 100%. The forum is a great place for collaboration with other users, but for issues such as this, it may be more effective to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via www.insaneaudio.com/support . Our staff works 7 days a week and is always happy to help.

That being said, you are having issues with Bluetooth connectivity on your TJ1002 Head Unit which could be because of a few Software Updates that need to be installed on your Head Unit.

Insane Audio releases software updates all the time, and as one of our customers you get them for free! You’ll note that when we release such updates, we often include all kinds of cool features and functionality so you'll definitely want those!

You can find the latest software update for your TJ1002 here: https://insaneaudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30

We hope this helps! If for some reason you continue to have issues even after trying the troubleshooting steps above, please open a ticket at www.insaneaudio.com/support and our team will be happy to work with you directly.

Thanks for writing in and we'll see ya on the trail!

DOakland

Re: Bluetooth won't consistently connect to phone

Post by DOakland » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 am

For the update, the instructions state:
-"If your build number begins with rk, then you're up to date. Otherwise, your build number will start with px5-userdebug 6.0.1 and end with a date code. This build will update you to px5-userdebug 6.0.1 MXC89L user.ia.tj1002.20181022"

If the build number beginning with "rk" means you're up to date, then after the update shouldn't the build number now start with "rk"? It looks to me like the instructions are stating the build number you're updating to is the same as the one you're updating from.

For verifying the update was successful, the instructions then state:
-"When the system is all done with the update, remove your update microSD card, and re-insert your Insane NavEngine GPS card.
Then, you’ll want to verify that you’ve updated the software correctly. Go to "About machine" under Settings, and verify that your build number is
px5-userdebug 6.0.1 MXC89L user.ia.tj1002.20181022"

Isn't this is the same Build Number that was just updated from?

My Build Number is "px5-userdebug 6.0.1 MXC89L user.ia.tj1002.20181022 test-keys". Is this the latest Build Number?

Thanks