JK2001 presale questions

Technical support for Insane Audio's JK1001 or JK2001
beaker

JK2001 presale questions

Post by beaker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm thinking of getting a JK2001 and I'm pretty psyched about it, but I have a few questions first. I was going to send an e-mail, but I thought it would be better to post a message here in case anyone else that was thinking of getting one had the same questions.

I'm an iPhone/iPod/Mac user, and I don't have any experience at all with Android or Android Onboard devices, so please forgive any questions that aren't really JK2001 specific.

I've read the manuals, as well as the "Copying iTunes", "Music Player", "Voice Search", and "Voice Dialing" threads. I didn't see the answers to these questions in there, but apologies in advance if they are and I missed them.

I think I know the answers to a few of these, but I just want to make sure so I'm not surprised later. There are a lot of questions, so one word answers are fine. ;)

MUSIC
Does the iPod app recognize the playlists on the iPod, or just the individual songs?
Can you control playlists using voice commands in the iPod app, specifically something like "OK Google, play Rush playlist with iPod?"
Does the built-in music app recognize playlist files (m3u format) on the SD card? If so, can you start playback via voice commands? If not, do you know of any music apps that do?
Do the steering wheel controls work in the iPod app for track forward/reverse?
Do the steering wheel controls typically work in other music player (non-native) apps?

NAVIGATION
Using voice controls can you enter an entire address in one command, e.g. "OK Google, navigate to 123 Anystreet, Boston, MA using Google Maps"?
While navigation is active, can you also be listening to music?
If you're listening to music, and there is a navigation notification (turn coming up, or an alert from Waze), does the music lower or pause for the alert?
Can you change the volume of navigation alerts independent of the music volume, or is there just one global volume setting?
Can you have two navigation apps running for different audible alerts, e.g. Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions, and Waze for police alerts (assuming Waze isn't being used for navigation)?

PHONE
Can you use voice commands to call specific phone numbers for someone, such as "OK Google, call Dave at home"?
If I add a new contact to my phone, do I have to use IADialer to import the contacts again, or is it automatically synced via Bluetooth?
Can you get a list of voicemails in your inbox (iPhone on Verizon), and play them? (Probably not, but I figured it was worth asking).
Do you get notified of text messages (iPhone), and if so can you read them or have them read to you? (Same as above).

CONNECTIONS
I know that removing the uConnect module will kill the USB port in the center console; is there any other functionality that is lost?
I have both an iPod and an iPhone; if I decide to use CarPlay, can I connect the iPhone to one of the USB ports (using the "IACarPlay" connector) at the same time I have an iPod connected to the other one, or is it either-or between the iPod and iPhone physical connections?
What kind of connector does the IACarplay module have - lightning, or something else? I can't tell from the picture on your site.
It is possible to not use the external microphone, and just use the microphone built into the unit? If I do, is any functionality lost (like voice commands)?
Assuming I always keep my phone enabled for hotspot use, will the unit auto-connect to it, or do I have to manually connect each time?
Is there the ability to specify multiple WiFi networks and have the unit try connecting in order until a connection is made? For example, connecting to my iPhone's hotspot, then trying a mobile hotspot setup in the Jeep, and finally my home network if none of the other connections worked?
I have a backup camera already installed in my 2015 JK (official OEM Mopar parts that I installed myself), connected to 12v via a relay that I have connected to my reverse light. Can I just hook the video out RCA connector of that camera to the JK2001 and leave the power connection the way it is, or do I have to connect the camera power to the JK2001 as well?
I'm going to be upgrading my speakers to something like the Kickers (both dash and soundbar); would I need to add an amp as well, or would the JK2001 be enough?

GENERAL
Is it possible to change "OK Google" to something like "Hey Jarvis"?
Does Android Onboard have something like a task manager where you can see what's running, and shut down apps?
When you shut off the Jeep and restart hours/days later, are the same apps still running, or do you have to re-launch them?
What is the delay between starting the Jeep and the JK2001 being ready for use (or at least able to view the backup camera image)?
I know that the Insane Navigation app has a night mode, and it's also possible to trigger night mode via the clock widget, but does the JK2001 have a light sensor that can set it automatically, or maybe trigger it by time? If not, is there a way to remap one of the faceplate hard buttons to trigger it?

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Re: JK2001 presale questions

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi beaker,

Thanks for taking interest in our products!

Insane Audio's JK2001 is BY FAR the best option for your Jeep JK Wrangler. Nothing else out there has even half of the JK2001's features and functionality. Add in our perfect fitment and build quality and you’ll see why our JK2001 is a pretty cool product for your vehicle.

Here are the answers you're looking for:

MUSIC
Does the iPod app recognize the playlists on the iPod, or just the individual songs?
Yes, the iPod app recognizes playlists. But using the iPod app really isn’t taking true advantage of all the awesomeness that is Insane Audio. The iPod app is fairly bare bones as Apple locks down their interface. It works well, but is nowhere near as powerful as moving music to a microSD card. With Insane Audio you can store up to half a terabyte of music right onboard with no moving parts and no skipping.
First, you’ll want to free your music – Free Your Music from iTunes.
Then you’ll want to play around with custom music players – Custom Music Players.

Can you control playlists using voice commands in the iPod app, specifically something like "OK Google, play Rush playlist with iPod?"
Not with the iPod app because, again, this platform is locked down by the powers that be at Apple. You can certainly voice control your music on the SD card, however.

Does the built-in music app recognize playlist files (m3u format) on the SD card? If so, can you start playback via voice commands? If not, do you know of any music apps that do?
Yes, the default music player will recognize playlist files.
Not, you'll not be able to start playlists using voice commands with the default music play (it's intentionally bare bones), but try some other options - Spotify, Pandora, Google Play music, etc.
Google Play Music not only plays with voice commands but will work entirely offline as well!

Do the steering wheel controls work in the iPod app for track forward/reverse?
Yes.

Do the steering wheel controls typically work in other music player (non-native) apps?
Yes.

NAVIGATION
Using voice controls can you enter an entire address in one command, e.g. "OK Google, navigate to 123 Anystreet, Boston, MA using Google Maps"?
Yes, of course!

While navigation is active, can you also be listening to music?
Yes, of course!

If you're listening to music, and there is a navigation notification (turn coming up, or an alert from Waze), does the music lower or pause for the alert?
Yes, of course!
You can even customize this (i.e. how much or how little the music fades down in the background). For those who are reading this and already have our product - this is available under Settings -> Navigation -> Navigation monitoring

Can you change the volume of navigation alerts independent of the music volume, or is there just one global volume setting?
Yes, you can.

Can you have two navigation apps running for different audible alerts, e.g. Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions, and Waze for police alerts (assuming Waze isn't being used for navigation)?
Yes, you certainly can.

PHONE
Can you use voice commands to call specific phone numbers for someone, such as "OK Google, call Dave at home"?
Yes. Here's a link to a write-up on how to set all that up – “OK Google, Call Mom.” How to Set up Voice Dialing

If I add a new contact to my phone, do I have to use IADialer to import the contacts again, or is it automatically synced via Bluetooth?
The contacts need to be synced to your Google account for hands free dialing. There are various ways to auto-sync your iPhone contacts to Google, or you can manually just update your contacts from time to time through our system (through the IADialer app)

Can you get a list of voicemails in your inbox (iPhone on Verizon), and play them? (Probably not, but I figured it was worth asking).
Not with an iPhone – again, our friends at Apple tend to lock down their platform and will not allow anything OTHER than Apple CarPlay for things like this. With Android, yes.

Do you get notified of text messages (iPhone), and if so can you read them or have them read to you? (Same as above).
With an iPhone, if you want voice texting, you need the IACarPlay module. This is because Apple locks down their platform and only allows this through the CarPlay interface. The good news is that if this is a requirement for you, Insane Audio has a solution. Here it is – IACARPLAY

CONNECTIONS
I know that removing the uConnect module will kill the USB port in the center console; is there any other functionality that is lost?
We wouldn’t call this a loss per se. 😊 Insane Audio provides multiple USB ports and a USB cable that is designed to run to the glovebox. You can plug a thumb drive in there with music or movies and access it through the head unit. Our products provide literally millions of additional features and functionality. Literally. Insane Audio supports over 3.8 million apps. You're not losing anything from OEM.

I have both an iPod and an iPhone; if I decide to use CarPlay, can I connect the iPhone to one of the USB ports (using the "IACarPlay" connector) at the same time I have an iPod connected to the other one, or is it either-or between the iPod and iPhone physical connections?
Yes - both can be connected at the same time, but only one can be used at a time. But again, we truly recommend taking advantage of the onboard microSD card instead of using an iPod. The iPod feature is really there if you have a friend that wants to share some music, but to truly unlock our system, we recommend storing all that music right on board. You can do everything from make the screen dance to the beat of the music, to DJ apps with scratch effects, to full voice control of your music, etc.

What kind of connector does the IACarplay module have - lightning, or something else? I can't tell from the picture on your site.
Lightning.

It is possible to not use the external microphone, and just use the microphone built into the unit? If I do, is any functionality lost (like voice commands)?
Sure. The built-in microphone works great but the biggest downside is that your heater/ac vents are right above the head unit. If you plan on placing Bluetooth calls while having the heater on high, then we recommend using the external mic.

Assuming I always keep my phone enabled for hotspot use, will the unit auto-connect to it, or do I have to manually connect each time?
Yes, the head unit will connect automatically. But we absolutely recommend you turn off your hotspot when not in use. iPhones in particular are notoriously buggy with hotspot connectivity and connections will time out (like when you walk away from your Jeep) and this may result in difficulty reconnecting (of course, you can just turn your hotspot off and then back on to reconnect). In addition, leaving your hotspot on will drain your phone's battery. Apple knows this all too well – that’s why the new iPhone X will automatically turn off the hotspot when there are no connections. So, as a general rule of thumb, we recommend turning off your phone's hotspot when not in use to save your phones battery and ensure all connections are clean. Turn it on whenever you want your Insane Audio unit to connect and everything will happen automatically.

Is there the ability to specify multiple WiFi networks and have the unit try connecting in order until a connection is made? For example, connecting to my iPhone's hotspot, then trying a mobile hotspot setup in the Jeep, and finally my home network if none of the other connections worked?
YES - the head unit will connect to the saved WiFi networks in the order of them being saved, based on availability.

I have a backup camera already installed in my 2015 JK (official OEM Mopar parts that I installed myself), connected to 12v via a relay that I have connected to my reverse light. Can I just hook the video out RCA connector of that camera to the JK2001 and leave the power connection the way it is, or do I have to connect the camera power to the JK2001 as well?
YES, but we recommend using the power from the JK2001 - that way, you can see the rear camera images from the RockCam app even when the Jeep is not in reverse!

I'm going to be upgrading my speakers to something like the Kickers (both dash and soundbar); would I need to add an amp as well, or would the JK2001 be enough?
If you're upgrading your speakers, we highly recommend converting to an all-aftermarket system using the JK2001’s built-in pre-amp outputs. An ideal setup would be an amp for your mains, a separate amp for your subs, and new speakers all around. This is because our built-in amplifier is specifically tuned for OEM specs. You’ll get the best possible sound out of those OEM speakers. If you want to continue to use our built-in amp, then we only recommend replacing speakers with the same specs as OEM. If you are upgrading your speakers (to better-than-OEM specs) then, again, we recommend you also use aftermarket amps.

GENERAL
Is it possible to change "OK Google" to something like "Hey Jarvis"?
Not that we are aware of.

Does Android Onboard have something like a task manager where you can see what's running, and shut down apps?
YES, you can view the recent apps just like you would on an android smartphone. In addition, Insane Audio has a speed button on the quick launch bar that can be used to automatically shut down apps in the background that aren’t being used.

When you shut off the Jeep and restart hours/days later, are the same apps still running, or do you have to re-launch them?
YES, our head units have a smart hibernation feature, so you start exactly where you left off the last time you used it.

What is the delay between starting the Jeep and the JK2001 being ready for use (or at least able to view the backup camera image)?
NONE when its coming out from the smart hibernation! It's just a split second - you won't even notice it.

I know that the Insane Navigation app has a night mode, and it's also possible to trigger night mode via the clock widget, but does the JK2001 have a light sensor that can set it automatically, or maybe trigger it by time? If not, is there a way to remap one of the faceplate hard buttons to trigger it?
There is no light sensor, but you can certainly do a lot with our products. One cool feature is to just leave the Insane NavEngine app on. In our opinion, it’s the best screen to view while driving anyway. By default, the Insane NavEngine app knows your position and the exact time of sunset at your location. It will automatically switch from day mode to night mode at the precise moment of sunset at your location. 😊

Hope this helps. If more questions come to mind, please feel free to ask! 😊

beaker

Post by beaker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the answers! I'll be placing my order tomorrow.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi beaker,

Happy to help!

Insane Audio’s JK2001 is an awesome product and we’re sure you’ll enjoy it for years to come.

Cheers!