Steering Wheel Controls

Technical support for Insane Audio's JK1001 or JK2001
brianw

Steering Wheel Controls

Post by brianw » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 am

I'm using a JK2001 with a 2016 JKU Sahara, and I'd like to modify the underside steering wheel controls, specifically the center buttons. When I open the Steering Wheel Keys page in Settings I just see a blank screen prompting me to press a steering wheel button, with Reset and Save options. Pressing a steering wheel button doesn't seem to do anything. How is this supposed to work? Thanks!

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: Steering Wheel Controls

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 am

brianw wrote:I'm using a JK2001 with a 2016 JKU Sahara, and I'd like to modify the underside steering wheel controls, specifically the center buttons. When I open the Steering Wheel Keys page in Settings I just see a blank screen prompting me to press a steering wheel button, with Reset and Save options. Pressing a steering wheel button doesn't seem to do anything. How is this supposed to work? Thanks!
Hey, there! Unfortunately you cannot re-program your steering wheel controls for a JK. That dialog you are seeing is for installation in different vehicles (i.e. vehicles without a canbus system that need to be manually programmed). Your JK2001 should work right out of the box with your steering wheel controls as we already include a canbus module specific to the JK. So, aside from some very minor changes (you can switch next and previous track in the factory settings) these controls can't be modified.

DangerDanNH

Post by DangerDanNH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

On the jk1001 is it possible to change the center button of the volume control on the backside of the wheel to mute from the current input mode?

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 am

DangerDanNH wrote:On the jk1001 is it possible to change the center button of the volume control on the backside of the wheel to mute from the current input mode?
Sorry, no can do. :(

Jason1978

Post by Jason1978 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a jk1001 and when someone calls me it wont let me answer it with using the steering wheel controls or never let's me hang up also. The only thing the steering wheel will let me do is turn up the volume.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Those should all work, but there are some nuances. Volume up/down and track up/down are the important ones. The Bluetooth button will now launch our Bluetooth app. Please get in touch with our friendly support staff by visiting www.insaneaudio.com/support for further assistance!

2013JkuRubicon

Post by 2013JkuRubicon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 am

Hi, I have a 2013 jku and for some reason the steering wheel buttons on the left operate opposite. The top button goes back and the bottom button give forward. How can I change this?
Thanks,
Chris

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Chris,

That is by design!

The only reason you would want have the top button move to the next track, and the bottom button to the previous track, is that perhaps you are used to the factory setup, but honestly, we feel this is quite arbitrary. The previous and next track buttons are normally left and right (not up and down) and we highly recommend you do not change this as Insane Audio intentionally built things so that the user interface is more intuitive and works with the steering wheel controls.

Allow us to explain: In general, most apps will have track lists that go up to down (because it wouldn’t make sense to go down to up) – and thus the reason we made the DOWN button go to the NEXT TRACK. The attached picture will help make more sense.

Going back to the factory orientation will be significantly less elegant. Of course, you're welcome to do what you want but please know that we did this very much by design. That said, if you still want to go ahead and change the settings, please get in touch with our friendly support staff by visiting www.insaneaudio.com/support and they'll provide the instructions to do so 😊
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-05-11-07-34-43.png
Screenshot_2016-05-11-07-34-43.png (135.41 KiB) Viewed 33 times