Pandora Offline Mode

Doing something interesting with your Insane Audio head unit? This is the place to share!
InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Pandora Offline Mode

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 pm

In a world of infinite possibilities and ever-increasing options, features, apps, channels, stations, feeds, etc.; decision fatigue is a real thing. The experience of watching TV or listening to music has fundamentally changed. Remember not too long ago, the experience was this: turn on the TV and something is playing, surf the channels if you want to watch something else. Same with radio, flip it on and the last station you were listening to is playing, change the station if you want to hear something else; pop in a CD or cassette and it starts playing. I’m not trying to be nostalgic. Yes, we still have AM/FM radio (although it sounds like it’s a constant stream of commercials whenever I tune in). I’m just pointing out the obvious fact that you may have noticed, with all the options for media consumption comes a bit more mental effort, decision making and ultimately friction that stands between you and your end goal.

Of course, with all the selection and variety, it’s worth it… most of the time. But sometimes, it nice to skip the decision tree and just get right to it. That’s what makes Pandora Offline mode on your Insane Audio unit so cool. It knows that sometimes I’m too lazy or distracted to turn on the personal hotspot on my phone, open the Pandora app and choose which station I want to play... especially first thing in the morning on the way to work. I just want to start my car, put it in drive and have the music play… automagically. And that’s exactly what happens with Pandora Offline mode. You don’t have to do anything after you get it set up, and you don't have to do much to set it up other than connect your Insane Audio unit to a Wi-Fi network for about 15 minutes (depending on your connection speed) with Pandora open. Here’s how it works:

1) If you have a Pandora Plus ($4.99/mo) or Premium ($9.99/mo) account, Pandora will automatically download music from your top 4 most listened to stations when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network for your offline enjoyment later.

2) Just to make sure, open the Pandora app on your Insane Audio unit > tap the menu icon in the top left > scroll down and tap Settings > scroll down and tap Offline > make sure the switch next to Offline Stations is turned on/switched to the right. If stations are currently downloading there will be a message here like “Downloading 1 of 4.” I believe leaving the app open to this screen will expedite the download process. If you want to download the stations via a personal hotspot flip the “Download Over Cellular” switch on, an unlimited data plan is recommended for this option.

3) After the stations are downloaded, just open Pandora on your Insane Audio unit without being connected to the internet or a hotspot. Pandora will detect you are not connected and start playing one of your offline stations.

4) If Pandora is playing when you turn your vehicle off, the next time you start it up, thanks to Insane Audio’s Auto sleep mode and Pandora’s Offline mode, music will just start playing from one of your offline stations.
This makes me very happy... which is why I wanted to share it here. I don’t have to take my phone out of my pocket to turn on Bluetooth, a Personal hotspot or even touch my DD2001. I just start my car and one of my favorite Pandora stations starts playing. Now, if I could just replicate this experience when I walk into my house, I would have everything I want from 21 century technology (a hover-board and teleportation would be a bonus).

5) If you want to turn off Offline mode, to go back to normal streaming, just tap the menu icon on the top left of the stations list > then tap the Offline mode switch at the bottom.

Not only is this a great feature for when you're feeling too lazy to turn on a hotspot, it's a great option for road trips or backcountry excursions where you might not have the option to stream music via a cellular connection, now you're prepared with your favorite music onboard!

Pandora currently doesn’t give us the option to change where we store the downloaded music or modify which stations we can listen to offline, but they do tell us that most stations take up between 300MB and 700MB so this feature should never use more than 3GB of your unit’s internal flash memory. They also state that they will never use the last 500 MB of storage on your device. How thoughtful. Check out this link for more details: https://help.pandora.com/s/article/Down ... uage=en_US and enjoy decision free, automagic, offline listening with Insane Audio!