Preamp output voltage?

General tech discussion board for Insane Audio's JK1001, FJ1001 and other Android based head units (coming soon)!
ZOSO

Preamp output voltage?

Post by ZOSO » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 am

I know through factory settings it is adjustable and am curious as to what the range is? If I set the output to "12" is that 3.7v? Reason Im asking is I am trying to tune my amp. It does not have a gain dial. Just a dial to set preamp output voltage that is supplied. The amp is a Kenwood KAC-M3004. When trying to adjust the amp to match the stereo I don't get any output voltage from the amp.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Re: Preamp output voltage?

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:28 pm

ZOSO wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 am
I know through factory settings it is adjustable and am curious as to what the range is? If I set the output to "12" is that 3.7v? Reason Im asking is I am trying to tune my amp. It does not have a gain dial. Just a dial to set preamp output voltage that is supplied. The amp is a Kenwood KAC-M3004. When trying to adjust the amp to match the stereo I don't get any output voltage from the amp.
You are correct that our pre-amp voltage is variable. Your Insane Audio product is very different then an old school head unit in that we have separate gains for various different audio channels. Those gains can be found in factory settings under the VOICE tab. These are the audio channel gains that are then fed into our 64bit digital audio processor and InsaneEQ which then goes to your pre-amp outputs. The voltage is variable up to 4v but it also depends on the specific channel and source, so it’s not quite as simple as level 12 is 3.7v or something like that. But in general, increasing the values in the voice tab will increase the voltage for that particular channel on the output. Our recommendation is to set your amp to an optimal level (on most amps this means increasing the gain to maybe 75% depending on how much power you’ve got) then back off the gains within the VOICE tab of your Insane Audio head unit until you get the desired volume and sensitivity. When your gains are set too high on our product, you’ll get plenty of volume but you may notice that even on level 1 the volume is too loud. Set them too low and you’ll find that you don’t have enough volume at max. Note that we never recommend going below 3 on these gains.

There is a lot in the above paragraph, but the simplest answer is that we recommend just playing around with levels until everything is exactly the way you want it for your particular setup. We aren’t familiar with that particular amp, but you’ll probably get the best results reducing the input voltage setting (thus giving you more head room and forcing the amp to increase its power).

Lastly, we should note that Insane Audio has a separate sub volume control in all of our 2000 and 3000 series products so if you are using this amp for a sub, you’ll also want to increase your sub volume control within Insane EQ.

Please feel free to hit our support staff up directly www.insaneaudio.com/support if you need further assistance. You’ll get a much faster response and we can even schedule a call with our engineering staff to help you dial in your system if you’d like.