Apple CarPlay Connectivity

Discussion around Insane Audio's super awesome new JL3001 for your JL Wrangler or JT Gladiator!
jstrianese

Apple CarPlay Connectivity

Post by jstrianese » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:23 am

I just got my JL3001 a few weeks ago. Over all, I'm satisfied with it. However, I'm having issues with CarPlay connectivity. I'd say it connects maybe 70% of the time without issue. Other times, it just sits at "waiting" forever. If I turn off the radio and turn it back on, usually that solves the issue and it connects. But sometimes it never wants to connect. There's been times where I've turned it off and on a dozen times and it just won't connect.

I've tried to narrow down what could possibly be causing issues, but it seems so random I haven't been able to nail down a culprit.

Are there any known conditions that may cause connectivity issues and/or any possible solutions?

Thanks

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Re: Apple CarPlay Connectivity

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm

jstrianese wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:23 am
I just got my JL3001 a few weeks ago. Over all, I'm satisfied with it. However, I'm having issues with CarPlay connectivity. I'd say it connects maybe 70% of the time without issue. Other times, it just sits at "waiting" forever. If I turn off the radio and turn it back on, usually that solves the issue and it connects. But sometimes it never wants to connect. There's been times where I've turned it off and on a dozen times and it just won't connect.

I've tried to narrow down what could possibly be causing issues, but it seems so random I haven't been able to nail down a culprit.

Are there any known conditions that may cause connectivity issues and/or any possible solutions?

Thanks
Hey There,

While the forum is a great place to collaborate and share ideas with other customers but is not the best place to go for tech support. All Insane Audio customers get lifetime technical support and our staff works 7 days a week. You will get a much faster response reaching out to us directly. You can always reach out to us at https://insaneaudio.com/support/

We are glad that you are satisfied with JL3001.

Our goal is to see our customers happy, so let's if we can get this right:
The easiest way to use Apple CarPlay, is to simply plug your phone into the CarPlay cable. That is the only cable that will work for CarPlay. You do need to have CarPlay turned on within your iPhone as well as Siri (Siri needs to be on for CarPlay to work). You also need to make sure you're is using a good cable. The JL3001 is capable of wired and wireless CarPlay. Here is some more information about Apple CarPlay on your new JL3001 - https://insaneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4437 Note that you should also turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone if you're using CarPlay. Also, for wired CarPlay, we do recommend turning Auto Connect OFF within the zLink app. Again, please check out forum post to get the clear idea on how to get it connected.

While CarPlay will definitely work and we’re happy to help you make sure all that is working. We'd like to point out the fact that our product supports over 3.8 MILLION apps which is far more powerful then just Apple CarPlay. Simply turn on your iPhones hotspot then download apps. You can separate app running on your vehicle itself making it a smart vehicle, which is uber cool. With Insane Audio you can do anything, from videos with YouTube to satellite imagery with Google Earth to much, much more. We've shared link to the creative uses section of our forum for more tips and tricks. You can check that out at: https://insaneaudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

jstrianese

Post by jstrianese » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:21 am

Well, thanks for the copy/paste reply, but as I indicated in my previous post, I have no problems getting CarPlay setup. When it works, it works great. It's your radio that randomly doesn't like to connect and I can't figure out why. I shouldn't have to turn off the radio and turn it back on to to hopefully fix the problem, which again, doesn't always work. My wife has a pioneer radio in her Jeep with wireless CarPlay and she never has this problem.

This is a messageboard. I'm not just looking for tech help from Insane Audio. I'm also looking for possible solutions from others who may have the same issue.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:43 pm

jstrianese wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:21 am
Well, thanks for the copy/paste reply, but as I indicated in my previous post, I have no problems getting CarPlay setup. When it works, it works great. It's your radio that randomly doesn't like to connect and I can't figure out why. I shouldn't have to turn off the radio and turn it back on to to hopefully fix the problem, which again, doesn't always work. My wife has a pioneer radio in her Jeep with wireless CarPlay and she never has this problem.

This is a messageboard. I'm not just looking for tech help from Insane Audio. I'm also looking for possible solutions from others who may have the same issue.
Hello Joseph,

We have already responded to you via our Support Inbox, but as you mentioned that you've been looking for possible solutions from others who may have the same issue. We're posting this reply for the benefit of everyone reading this post. 😊

In such a case, the first thing we want to do is make sure you are on our latest software. We are currently on the latest software version 1.3. Here's the link to our latest software update: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4453

Also note that you need to turn Off auto sleep for Bluetooth connections if you're using wired CarPlay. To do that, go to Settings > Car > Extra Settings. In here is a shutdown power delay. That may be set to auto sleep. You just have to disable that. If you're using wireless CarPlay, then you'll need to connect via Bluetooth. Please take a look at our forum writeup about Apple CarPlay and the JL3001: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4437

It's worth noting that Apple will only allow you to run a very small number of apps from your iPhone through the Apple CarPlay interface. But we should point out that Apple CarPlay is quite restrictive and you certainly don’t need it. In fact, it only supports a small number of apps. This isn’t an Insane Audio thing – this is all iPhones on all CarPlay compatible devices. You can’t do things like video streaming, etc.

Your Insane Audio head unit, on the other hand, has no restrictions at all. You can turn on your iPhone's hotspot, connect your Insane Audio head unit then download apps directly to your Jeep! Any app! We support over 3.8 MILLION apps from video streaming with YouTube to satellite imagery with Google Earth. The main difference is that instead of trying to run apps from your iPhone (i.e. CarPlay), we run our own apps. Think of it this way – you already have a smartphone. With Insane Audio, you get a smart Jeep.

The following should put things in perspective - https://insaneaudio.com/PRODUCT_DATA/MA ... raph.jpg

That being said, the forum is certainly a great place to collaborate and share ideas with other customers but is not the best place to go for tech support. All Insane Audio customers get lifetime technical support and our staff works 7 days a week. You will get a much faster response reaching out to us directly. You can always reach out to us at insaneaudio.com/support