Poor AM/FM Reception

General technical discussion topics for Insane Audio's TJ1001 or TJ1002
agar426

Poor AM/FM Reception

Post by agar426 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:39 pm

I just installed the unit into my '05 w/factory sub. The FM radio reception is quite poor, worse than my stock radio. I used the patch cable between the unit and the factory antenna connection. It seemed pretty simple, but is there more to it than simply plugging them in?

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: Poor AM/FM Reception

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:29 pm

agar426 wrote:I just installed the unit into my '05 w/factory sub. The FM radio reception is quite poor, worse than my stock radio. I used the patch cable between the unit and the factory antenna connection. It seemed pretty simple, but is there more to it than simply plugging them in?
Hey, there. This sounds like you've got a connection problem. You're going to want to make sure you've got a clean connection from the rear of your TJ1001 all the way to your factory antenna. It's worth noting that some of the '05 wranglers have little L connectors and the OEM antenna isn't a straight shot... meaning.. it isn't uncommon for this to come loose during an install. You'll want to check that cable all the way through. We also recommend wrapping all your connections with electrical tape.

Please let us know how you go!

agar426

Post by agar426 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I played with it quite a bit. It seemed to be affected as I moved it around, and it got worse when I re-mounted the glovebox. It also changed as I moved around my body. The connections are clean and weren't covered with tape from the factory. Very good factory reception.

thereisnothername

Post by thereisnothername » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I am experiencing this also.

The reception of my old radio was very good. I live just outside of Boston so I get a ton of channels. I don't think I would be saying too much to say that my old radio got better than 100 channels.

I get 1 channel with the TJ1001....

In my case, it's not the cable my friend.

If I take out the TJ1001 and plug my stock radio back in, I get great reception again...

I am willing to be a software guinea pig if you need. Please let me know.

If it is only two people out of how ever many have been sold, could it be a manufacturing defect of just these two radios? Stranger things have happened...? I don't know that that is it at all but it popped in my head so I thought I would shout it out....

agar426

Post by agar426 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:35 pm

In my situation, I checked and re-checked the connections. I thought there was some voodoo within the antenna cable due to the fact that the reception would change when I wiggled the cable. Well, the rain finally slowed down, and it turns out that the connection that goes into the back of the head unit, the pigtail that adapts the factory antenna to the TJ1001 is VERY sensitive to how it's plugged in. If I plugged it in all the way, the reception would go to crap. If I pulled it part way out, the reception was fine. That is unacceptable! I can't go around thinking the next pothole is going to move my antenna connection and lose my reception.

thereisnothername

Post by thereisnothername » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:33 pm

thank you agar426

I was able to solve the issue.

I went to Walmart and bought a cheap antenna connector adapter.

So, I guess we were the lucky ones that just so happened to draw the short straw and got defective adapters with our radios. :lol:
It looks like the adapter I got didn't have a center wire pin in it on the side that connects into the Jeep.

It happens. That little pin is so small, it's bound to happen every once in a while...

agar426, thank you for providing feedback. It was instrumental in getting this solved quickly.
Insane Audio, thank you for providing the forum.

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:57 am

Please know that we stand behind everything we build here at Insane Audio, so on the off chance you do have bad radio adapter cable, just hit up our support guys at support@insanejeepaudio.com We'll happily get 'ya a new one.